Friday, October 05, 2007

The Last Few Months

Ok, finally, a few minutes to sit and update you all. We just got back from our trip to America and Switzerland, posted below are a few pictures.



My friend Werner and I hiking in Switzerland



My sister Rachael at her wedding reception



My brother and I at Rachael's reception

We flew into Zurich, Switzerland for two weeks of visits to supporters and friends, and were busy the entire time. Has some great times with some great friends, and got to talk a lot about Burma and the situation here, as well as what we are doing with Partners. We were able to speak in one church aside from our own, and met with lots of people and share with everyone about the Karen people and what is going on in this part of the world. I was yet again amazed at how little people knew about Burma, as well as what they did know, which usually was wrong. Many thought that Burma was a stable place, and were appalled to hear about the systematic killing, rape and torture that is an everyday occurence inside a country where more is spent on the wedding of the leading generals daughter than is spent in an entire year on healthcare for the people of this impoverished land. Another highlight was an evening I got to spend in Zurich with some friends, drinking and talking and just catching up on all the old news.

After two great weeks, we flew on to America for my sister Rachael's wedding. We got there in the midst of all the planning and stuff before the wedding, so we really didnt get to spend as much time with everyone as we would have liked. But it was still great to be there and be a part of the wedding, which turned out beautifully. It was a great opportunity to see people we rarely get to see, like my grandparents and aunts and uncles, simply because we live so far away. It had been 6 years since I had seen most of them, and it was so cool to see how much all my cousins have grown over the past years.

After we got back, I took the bus down to Bangkok and finally got the Lasik surgery on my eyes done. It's so great to be able to see without glasses! I still find myself waking up and reaching for them, only realize I dont actually need them anymore. It was a strange experience, having my eyes held open and smelling burning flesh, but hey, if thats the price I have to pay to see without glasses, so be it.

Anyway, enough for now. I will be posting later today or tomorrow about the current situation here and in Burma. till then...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.