Thursday, February 15, 2007



A couple of pics from Chinatown



We got our visa!!! Singapore was great, super clean, nice people, lots of different foods, Indian, Chinese, Tamil, etc, etc. Great city to visit, lots of good shopping if you have the cash, which I dont, but no matter, because there were lots of opportunities for great photos (a few favs above), and the food was cheap. Plus, we were blessed that we could stay for free in a private home arranged by some friends. Thanks David and Florence!! I was able to get a great deal on a camera lens i have been wanting for over a year, found it very cheap in Little India. 50 mm fixed, 1.8 Fstop, for those of you who care. Great for low light, the photo of the street scene was shot with an ISO of 200 with a shutter speed of 125. Super cool, it will replace my stock lens for almost everything, and its really light for those jungle trips too.

Saw a few movies over the last week too. Blood Diamonds was great. If you like good movies, see this one. It will make you think a lot about what you spend your cash on, and who it kills, plus the good that can be done. Every one is redeemable. Except of course, the makers of the second movie I saw, Babel. They dont stand a chance. That movie was probably the worst movie I have seen in years. If you like long panning shots of deserts, mexican weddings, or Japanese cityscapes, then this one might be for you, but otherwise, spend the cash on a couple of pints at your favorite watering hole. Its random, but not random enough to keep you guessing. Its boring. Its about the randomness that connects our lives with others all over the world. Or some such rubbish. I dont know, I could barely stay awake. All the good parts were shown on the preview. The funny thing is, the "critics" gave it rave reviews. I have no idea why, I disagreed with everything I read about the film. My theory is this: They give out high grade smack at critic movie screenings. In order to get to go to the next screening, the hopelessly addicted critics have to say something nice. To get more smack. Its an endless cycle. Although it could be that I have no taste. After all, I thought A Beautiful Mind was crap too.

1 comment:

maria&hsar k'tray htoo said...

Hi!!
I was just checking out some blogs and then I suddenly saw "Chris in Thailand" and I tought it might be you guys. How fun.
I'm still in Norway. I miss Thailand, Mae Sot, Karen Dts, all the people.
How are you doing in Thailand?

Love from Maria